I love love love restaurants. Being served, choosing from a variety of dishes knowing that I don’t have to lift a finger is bliss. Then the fact that I don’t have to clean up or wash any dishes is also what fills my heart with joy.
Other than going out to restaurants to dine, I enjoy cooking for friends and family. When I lived in London we couldn’t always go out to dinner. Having a new baby meant that we were confined to the house when our friends had plans. So I decided to start inviting people around for dinner. Best solution ever. We got to spend time with our friends and socialize while the baby was asleep in the next room.
One of the dishes I loved making for my guests is tomato, basil and mozzarella bruschetta. As a starter it is simply delicious. It is quick to make and people always really seemed to enjoy it.
- 2 handfuls nice mixed ripe cherry tomatoes
- 1 small bunch fresh basil , leaves picked
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- good-quality white wine or herb vinegar
- 2 large French baguettes, sliced
- 1 ½ pounds fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Slice bread and toast under the grill/broil in the oven or in a griddle pan
- Rub each slice of toast with a cut garlic clove then drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Wash the cherry tomatoes, place the cherry tomatoes in a deep bowl and squash them roughly
- Tear the basil and put into the bowl, season with salt and pepper and add some olive oil and some vinegar
- Slice the mozzarella and place into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients
- Place the mix on top of each sliced piece of bread and drizzle with the remaining sauce, then put under the grill to lightly warm them.
Enjoy with friends in the comfort of your own home!