Baked ziti is an Italian-American staple. I love that it’s so comforting, yet full of fresh, herby flavors. I decided to make things a little easier on myself and use the slow cooker instead of the oven. The best part is I didn’t have to boil the noodles first – they cook perfectly in the marinara sauce!
To brighten up this dish I add fresh basil from our herb garden, rosemary, and lemon juice to the ricotta. And with so much cheesy goodness I decided to leave ours vegetarian, but you could easily add a variety of different meats.
I love the slow cooker because after a long day I can come home to a tasty meal!!
- 2 eggs
- 15oz ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup basil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp rosemary
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1lb Penne pasta
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 3 cups parmesan cheese
- Make the Ricotta Mix by beating the two eggs, adding all of the ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup basil, 1/2 tbsp rosemary, 1 tbsp lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well and set aside.
2. Grease the inside of slow cooker with nonstick spray or butter.
3. Add about 2 cups of pasta sauce in the bottom of slow cooker. Layer ⅓ of penne noodles on top of sauce, followed by ½ of ricotta mixture, and ⅓ of Italian cheese blend, then repeat all steps so there are 2 layers of all ingredients.
4. Top with remaining penne and sauce, and cook on high for 3-4 hours, until noodles are al dente.
5. Top with remaining cheese and cook an additional 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted through.
6. Serve hot and enjoy!