I absolutely adore going out to restaurants. One of the things I love the most is coming across a dish that I never would have thought to make myself. I love cooking but it is easy to run out of ideas. If it were up to me we would eat out more often than we actually do. My husband loves home cooked meals and likes to occasionally eat out. So, after I had these two side dishes at a restaurant I just had to learn how to make them myself. If I can’t go out to eat them then I’ll cook them right in my own kitchen. I was never a big fan of Brussels sprouts. To be honest I always thought they had a funky smell and not much in the taste department but after having them at a restaurant I soon became of lover of all things sprouts!! When it comes to fries I believe they should be a main dish and not just a side. They are delicious, so imagine my surprise when I discovered sweet potato fries. Even better and a welcome change from the regular french fries.
Hope you enjoy!
1 ½ pounds of Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half through the core
¼ cup olive oil
1½ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place the Brussels sprouts on a sheet pan.
- Cover the sprouts in the olive oil, salt and pepper and mix around with your hand to ensure they are all covered.
- Roast the Brussels sprouts for 20 to 30 minutes, or until they are tender and browned.
- Remove from the over, drizzle immediately with the balsamic vinegar, and toss again.
- Taste for seasoning and serve hot.
5 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch long slices, then ¼ wide inch stripes
½ teaspoon of paprika
1 cup salt
¼ cup black pepper
¼ cup garlic powder
- Line a sheet tray with baking paper
- In a large bowl toss the sweet potatoes with just enough olive oil to coat them all.
- Sprinkle the paprika, salt, garlic powder and pepper on the sweet potatoes.
- Spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender and golden brown, turning them occasionally.
- Let them cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: Mix some mayonnaise with Sriracha sauce and you have a delicious dipping sauce for the fries!!!